List:       kde-krn-devel
Subject:    Re: Offline reading with krn
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1997-10-14 9:15:41

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Thomas Schwarz wrote:

> Good morning! :-)
>
> > It's supposed to be online or offline, but yes, only interactive.
> > Adding a non interactive mode to krn should be fairly easy.
> > Anyway, I think I have some ideas on how to make it work (more slowly)
> > with non-Xover servers. It won't be done too soon.
>
> Could you perhaps explain in a few words what is the special about this "XOVER" thing?
> What is the difference between "LIST" without and with "XOVER"? Or can you point me to
> a faq/doc explaining this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Thomas

The story goes like this:

"xover" is a command, an extension to NNTP (not mandated by the RFC),
unrelated to "list".

If you enter a group with, say, "group alt.test", and then do "xover
100-200", you will get 100 lines of info like this:

100	This is a test	joe@some.com	blah,blah
101	....
:
:
200	....

These lines contain a fairly compact representation of the most important
things in the article, much more compact than having to get the full
headers for the 100 articles.

The thing is that exactly what info is on each line can change from
server to server, so the "list overview.fmt" command gives the layout for
the (tab separated) records. It's (IMHO) not really good, because it
gives list a second meaning for no purpose, since a simple "overview.fmt"
command would do just as well.

As you can see, NNTP is a lovely thing :-)

Best regards.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
"Bloody instructions which, being taught, return to plague their inventor"