List:       koffice
Subject:    New printdialog?(was: Printing "strange" fonts)
From:       Leon Widdershoven <l.widdershoven () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       1999-09-02 9:31:51

Hi,

After the discussion yesterday about printing strange fonts,
I tried to summarize the wishes I had and heard.
I wish to stress that this is a *wish* list, and that
wishes need not come true:)
The summary is given below:
1. It should be possible to rasterize the fonts
2. It should be possible to send fonts to the printer
3. It should be possible to print the image as bitmap

These wishes combined would call for a change in the Qt
printer dialog:
[Fonts]
 [ ] Never rasterize and include fonts [Substitute printer fonts]
 [ ] Rasterize and include uncommon fonts
 [ ] Rasterize and include all fonts
 [ ] Convert all text to bitmaps

[Postscript level]
 [ ] Minimal: Send a bitmap [Huge!]
 [ ] Level 1
 [ ] Level 2

I wish to stress that Convert text to bitmaps and Minimal
Postscript level are relatvely easy to implement. It just
requires printing first onto a pixmap and substitute the text
with that pixmap.

Comments?

BTW: Reggie, I know you said you will discuss this with Arnt
in three weeks or so. I hope you don't mind me trying to get
the specs of the wishlist clear...
--
Leon Widdershoven                (l.widdershoven@fz-juelich.de)
Institute of Plasma Physics      Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH