List:       kde-kiosk
Subject:    [Kde-kiosk] Installing/configuring Kiosktool on network
From:       Mike Knichel <mike_knichel () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2008-03-11 16:38:36

Ok, so after fighting for a couple of hours, here is where I am...Nowhere.

I installed Kiosktool on a workstation and set up my "Ideal" settings for students.
I saved the profile as "Student"

I have a folder on the mounted server volume "/home" called kiosk (/home/kiosk) and it is currently chmod \
777.

I do not know who should own the files in the profile ?  root or admin (both are local accounts on the \
workstation, admin has sudo privs). Should the default also be stored on the server?

In Kiosktool, what should the settings be under "Configure Kiosk Admin Tool"?
Base Path ? (/home/kiosk/etc/kde-profile/ ?)
Upload on exit ? (same as above? )

--
Mike Knichel

> I am new to Kiosk.  I like what I see already.  I wish to create a profile and store it on a server \
> then have my computers reference it so I don't have to create the profile on all of my computers in my \
> lab.  Is this possible?

Why don't store local folders? In my opinion you don't want to rely on a
server/network connection for the clients.
I use it on 90-100 systems and if I change something to the profile, I
copy the new profile. Every evening all systems shutdown automatically
and in the morning when booted the new profiles are loaded.

I use it for a while now and haven't had any problems with it.
For copy I use a self-written tool, which uses SSH for copying the
profiles. All automatically, works great.

You can also download the profile @ boot/shutdown. Which you can also
use for diskless clients I guess. A network mount is also possible in
Linux. The profile folder isn't changed by any user, so you can mount it
@ boot, read only as /etc/kde-profile.