List:       kde-kiosk
Subject:    [Kde-kiosk] Newbie stumper -- preventing users from exiting a kisok
From:       Darrell Eifert <deifert () hampton ! lib ! nh ! us>
Date:       2006-06-27 15:51:06

Hi all --

I'm trying to set up a simple KDE based kiosk for our library on-line
catalog using Kubuntu Dapper.  Although I have minimal experience with
Linux, it seems from my reading that a KDE environment would be ideal
for this sort of thing.  With that in mind, I would like to see the
following things happen at boot time:

1) automatically log-in to a restricted or basic user account
2) automatically run Konqueror or Firefox and point to our on-line
catalog home page - our catalog is a plain-vanilla set of HTML pages.
3) only allow access to the on-line catalog and a handful of selected
database sites
4) prevent any other application from running
5) prevent users from exiting the catalog, while enabling a staff
shut-down via password

Some of the steps I've already completed - I can do auto login, auto
launch and restricted site access via proxy settings.  What I can't
locate is information on steps 4 and 5 - locking out all applications
except for the browser and preventing users from closing it down.   I've
downloaded and successfully compiled the Kiosk Admin Tool,  so I would
welcome suggestions from anyone who has successfully done these steps
with that application.

Thanks to all who respond.

Darrell Eifert
Head of Adult Services