List:       kde-kiosk
Subject:    RE: [Kde-kiosk] Locking Down KDE
From:       "Neil Munro" <neil.munro () catalyse ! net>
Date:       2003-04-15 22:56:20

> On Tuesday 15 April 2003 20:41, Brian Stack wrote:
> > I am running Mandrake 9.0, KDE 3.0, and Mozilla 1.1.
> >
> > I want to lock down the desktop to be read only, a script
> on the desktop
> > will start mozilla when cliked. So it is bacically a read-only web
> > interface hopefully in full screen mode.
>
> Hello Brian,
>
> Do you really need KDE then. Why not just start Mozilla up on
> its own under
> X? If that is all you want, then googling for "mozilla" and "kiosk"

Just to say that running mozilla directly from X is no good if you want
to use a keyboard as Mozilla apparently expects a window manager to deal
with that. The result is that you can't type in URLs - unless someone
can explain a way round this... I've tried it on RH7/8 with Mozilla 1
and 1.3 and it simply ignores the keyboard.

Neil.