List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    kimageshop native file format and koffice filter framework
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2000-02-22 18:12:14

Hi

1) I'm currently implementing a native KImageShop file format using
KoStore and QDom. I'm basically saving image/layer/channel attributes in
the XML file (see kimageshop.dtd) and the actual image data in binary
files, all stored using KoTarStore. This gives me
LayerCount*ChannelCount binaries. All in all this is a easy to handle
and more important easy to write import filters for file format. Any
suggestions regarding the file format?

2) I had a deeper look into the KOffice filter framework recently. Great
work, Werner! While I like the current implementaion I'm a bit concerned
wether it's going to work for KImageShop. The problem is, while KWord
and KSpread documents are (relatively) small text files and (relatively
;-) fast filtered with the current approach, importing a large TIFF
image into KImageShop would be quite slow because of the indirect nature
of the filters. Just think of a 30MB TIFF loaded from disk, converted to
a temporary KIS image which is saved in a tmp dir and then opened by
KImageShop. What I want to say is that it might be better (faster! :-)
for KImageShop to import foreign file formats directly. On the other
hand a direct-loading filter framework for KIS would of course be
incompatible with the KOffice filter framework, KIS filters would have
to know about KIS internal data structures and link to libkiscore.
Opinions, suggestions?

Greetings, Matthias

--
Matthias Elter
elter@kde.org / m_elter@t-online.de

ERROR: Windows has detected that you have moved your mouse.
Please reboot this machine for changes to take effect.