On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote: > > >Does it use MMX eventually? > BLAS libraries always make sure they perform the best possible on a computer system. Off course, only BLAS 3 achieves full speed on a computer system. One of the things BLAS does is too make sure no cache trashing occurs. This feature only will result in large speed gains. >> MPICH is also a good candidate. Good implementations of MPI should scale on SMP >> systems and clusters (if communication links > 100Mb are used). I am no expert >> on MPI, .... so I guess we will need to contact someone else. > >I think we agreed not to use MPI because its use would be too limited in >comparison to the effort and overhead involved. >I mean, how many people have clusters for image editing? KIS' target >(IMHO) is single computers with one or more CPUs, where MPI doesn't help >much. > Some MPI implementation do not need a cluster. They just model a SMP processor using MPI concepts. This means that you write for a virtual MPI system. If you are running kimageshop on an SMP system it will take full advantage of the SMP system. However, the same codebase with a different MPI implementation library (the interface, header files are the same) will port in 1 second (the time to link the new MPI lib) to a cluster of 1000 PII ..... >> I work at the computer science departement of the university of louvain >> (Belgium). I will ask our local MPI guru's for some information. > >Ok, if you get some real arguments pro MPI-usage, please tell me. > I am not pro MPI nor contra MPI. I am pro the-best-solution, if that is MPI than it is MPI. If our MPI guru says MPI is not suitable for this task then we can silently ignore MPI. BDR