List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    16bit
From:       Matthias Elter <me () main-echo ! net>
Date:       1999-08-16 7:20:45

Hello

I'm still unsure if we should support 16bit or even higher per channel.
Photoshop supports 16bit per channel in RGB images. This means you can
load/save RGB images with red/green/blue ranging from 0-2^16 - 1 (65535) instead
of "only" 2^8 - 1 (255). In Photoshop (at least v5.0) you can't do much more
with 16bit images than load/save, the selection tool is the only tool working
with 16bit. ;-) The Problem is that we would have to rewrite all tools/filters
for 16bit support. Is it worth the effort? Where is 16bit per channel actually
used?

Greetings, Matthias

--
Matthias Elter