List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    status
From:       Matthias Elter <me () main-echo ! net>
Date:       1999-08-15 11:08:57

Hi

KIS is comming along quite nicely. Michael Koch has written a nice layer/channel
dialog and I have commited a base class "KFloatingDialog" for KIS dialogs.
Currently four people are actively working on KIS. Andrew Richards, Michael
Koch, Charsten Pfeiffer and me. Some time ago lots of people showed interest in
KIS on this list. Back then we had no finished concept and no work for you.
Now there are quite a few of areas that need work:

- Rewrite the brush class. Brushes should be grayscale images. Extend the brush
tool to use the new class. Paint using the foreground color and the brush info.
A white pixel in the brush becomes transparent, a black one the full intensity
of the foreground color. -> 256 intensity values.

- We are going to support several color models:
 * bitmaps (black/white)
 * grayscale (one channel, 256 gray values)
 * index colors (max 256 colors, defined by a color table)
 * RGB
 * HSV
 * LAB
 * CMYK

I'm currently working on a new class "KColor" supporting all these color models
and conversion between them.
I'm furthermore going to write a color selector (similar to the one in
Photoshop) for all color models.

- What we need is a palette dialog based on KFloatingDialog to select and edit a
color table for indexed images. Have a look at the GIMP's palette dialog.
Somebody should write a Palette class that manages a color table (save/load)
and the described dialog.

- Carsten is working on a general icon selector to be used in a brush and
pattern selection KFloatingDialog.

- Somebody should have a look at KRuler (kdelibs/kdeui). For some reason it
fails displaying labels in KIS. And while you are on it, set the correct
stretching of the rulers for the current zoom factor.

- Implement a Selection class based on QRegion.

- Implement a path class and a path dialog (see the GIMP or Photoshop for
a reference)

- Extend KFloatingDialog. It works but has a few problems that could be worked
out.

Greetings, Matthias

--
Matthias Elter