List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: project status
From:       Matthias Elter <me () main-echo ! net>
Date:       1999-08-05 12:30:57

Michael Koch wrote:
(...)
> > By the way, I had a look at the GIMP's plugin interface. It havily
> > depends on the GIMP's internal data structures. IMO it's impossible to
> > implement GIMP plugin support without writing a 1:1 GIMP clone. I
> > personally hate the idea of a clone so we perhaps should forget GIMP
> > plugin compatibility.
>
> On Linuxday we (Stephan Westerphal and I) spoke to a GIMP-plugin-developer.
> He said that full GIMP-plugin-support would be hard to code because of the
> millions of funtions in the gtk-libs.
>
> He suggested that we can use a GIMP-server in the background for gimp-plugins,
> but viewing the result in KImageShop.

This requires to have the GIMP running in the background but is a
possible option we should keep in mind as I more and more get certain
that native GIMP plugin support in KIS is close to impossible. Not only
because of the large interface but more because of the internal GIMP
data structures the plugins depend on.

Greetings, Matthias

--
Matthias Elter