--000000000000967db6060cd9df6d Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 10:47=E2=80=AFPM Dmitry Kazakov wrote: > The main problem for me is that I want to have the patch merged asap, to > be able to test/resolve issues of some other patches in combination with > this one. That's why I just merge that without rebase-pipeline completion= . > > Speaking truly, I'm not very happy with our 'always fast-forward merge' > policy [0], but given GitLab doesn't provide an option to switch policy > on-the-fly, it should be fine for now. > That global policy is in place for good reason - and not only because people want a clean history. It is also there because merge commits cannot be easily reverted and you do not want to try reverting a merge commit (it ends very very badly - we've had to force push repositories out of that mess before) Cheers, Ben > > [0] - this policy is good for small patches, but for bigger patchset I > would prefer to see an explicit merge commit > > On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 10:25=E2=80=AFAM Ben Cooksley = wrote: > >> On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 10:16=E2=80=AFPM Dmitry Kazakov >> wrote: >> >>> Hi, Ben! >>> >>> I think we have kind of forgotten about that. I usually build the MRs >>> locally or check if the pipeline has succeeded for the current revision= , >>> then I just "rebase without pipeline" and do the merge. It might be tha= t I >>> should use the merge service for that, I'm not sure... >>> >> >> That is fine. Given it doesn't seem to be too well loved i'm going to >> decommission the service. >> >> The initial issues we had with it's reliability had been resolved howeve= r >> I think that happened not too long before people stopped using it. >> >> Cheers, >> Ben >> >> >>> >>> On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 2:41=E2=80=AFAM Ben Cooksley wrote: >>> >>>> Hi all, >>>> >>>> I've just been reviewing services we're looking after and while doing >>>> so have noticed that Marge Bot (invent.kde.org/merge-service) doesn't >>>> seem to have done anything for 4 months. >>>> >>>> As the two projects with it enabled, is this something you're still >>>> using as it doesn't look like it. >>>> >>>> Thanks, >>>> Ben >>>> >>> >>> >>> -- >>> Dmitry Kazakov >>> >> > > -- > Dmitry Kazakov > --000000000000967db6060cd9df6d Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
The main problem for me is that= I want to have the patch=C2=A0merged asap, to be able to test/resolve issu= es of some other patches in combination with this one. That's why I jus= t merge that without rebase-pipeline completion.

Speakin= g truly, I'm not very happy with our 'always fast-forward merge'= ; policy [0], but given GitLab doesn't provide=C2=A0an option to switch= policy on-the-fly, it should be fine for now.

That global policy is in place for good reason - and not on= ly because people want a clean history.
It is also there because = merge commits cannot be easily reverted and you do not want to try revertin= g a merge commit (it ends very very badly - we've had to force push rep= ositories out of that mess before)

Cheers,
Ben
=C2=A0

[0] - this policy is good for smal= l patches, but for bigger patchset I would prefer to see an explicit merge = commit

I think we have kind of forgotten about that. I usually build the MR= s locally or check if the pipeline has succeeded for the current=C2=A0revis= ion, then I just "rebase without=C2=A0pipeline" and do the merge.= It might be that I should use the merge service for that, I'm not sure= ...

That is fine. Given it does= n't seem to be too well loved i'm going to decommission the service= .=C2=A0

The initial issues we had with it's re= liability had been resolved however I think that happened not too long befo= re people stopped using it.

Cheers,
Ben<= /div>

--
Dm= itry Kazakov