List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: Hi, I'm the App Stores Support Engineer guy
From:       Halla Rempt <halla () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2022-09-07 8:58:49

On woensdag 7 september 2022 10:43:06 CEST Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Hi Krita people,
>
> as you may have read on the community mailing list [1], I'm taking on the role
> of App Stores Support Engineer for KDE.

Hi Ingo!

> Aleix Pol wrote:
> "Ingo will be working with the different teams in KDE towards our
> infrastructure getting prepared to have their software delivered to
> the platforms they are targetting. With this, we hope to improve the
> reach of our products to end users and hopefully enable them also to
> make a living with their KDE products."
>
> You do already publish Krita in the Windows Store (and the Steam and Epic
> stores) which is awesome. But there's probably still room for improvement.

Note that the main reason we put Krita in stores is to generate income that can be \
used to sponsor development. That's different from e.g. Kate.

> Here are a few questions I'm interested in:
>
> a) Where can I find more information about your building and publishing
> process? Who should I talk to in your team?

That would be me for Windows Store and Epic, Sharaf for Android and Emmet for Steam.

> b) Are there things you wish the KDE infrastructure would better support with
> regard to building for different platforms and publishing in different app
> stores?

I'm quite happy with the binary factory which produces artefacts that we can upload; \
we use our own scripts there, not Craft, though.

> c) Are there things in the KDE Frameworks that should be improved to ease
> building for different platforms, e.g. do you patch some KDE Frameworks when
> you create builds for Windows or macOS?

Yes, heavily. And we are behind with updating to new versions of frameworks. We also \
patch the heck out of Qt 5.12, because newer versions of Qt are too buggy and the \
incredibly dumb release policy of the Qt company.

> d) Do you want to target more platforms and/or app stores, e.g. the Apple
> Store?

We are working on that, and already have everything setup to upload there, once we \
solve the sandbox problem: because macos app store applications are sandboxed like on \
Android, but the api's are vague, users cannot open or save files or use file layers \
in an app store version of Krita

Ivan is the one working on that, but it's a pretty tough problem and there isn't \
visible progress yet.

The iPadOS store is not a target, because of GPL.

This might be interesting to you: https://phabricator.kde.org/T14359

> f) Is this mailing list the right place to talk about this?

Yes -- though we're also always around on #krita in libera.net.