Yes, you can setup the feed to use a subcategory, I use the tag KDE for mine.

For tasks, make a main task tagged with the project Krita. You can make subtasks to that main task as you see fit. The main purpose of a task is to make the bureaucracy at the end simpler. Because when you commit, you can put "Ref T###" (T### being your main task), and then when the commit is pushed, phab will add a note about it to the task.

As for commit access, if you ever have pushed there's a good change you still have commit access. I guess the next step is to make new ssh keys and add them to the dash at identity.kde.org.

Good luck!