List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: some iterator benchmarks
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2013-05-30 8:22:54

On Thursday 30 May 2013 May 10:12:12 Inge Wallin wrote:

> Assymetric tiles is something I thought of too.  It doesn't need to be
> width=2*height either.  There can be any factor, and the ultimate in
> assymetric is using x scanlines of the full image instead of rectrangular
> tiles.

Yes... That is something other apps actually do. Photoshop can make either tiles or \
scanlines available, judging from their old sdk. Cinepaint was going to be ported to \
scanlines, and nuke uses scanlines for everything.

For painting, though, that is perhaps the worst strategy from a memory point of view.

> And re the undo buffer, does it have to be aligned tiles in there?  why not
> make it a quadtree of pixels with varying tile sizes?

Yes, that is something I was thinking about. We could come up with a nicely \
complicated scheme where we'd coalesce adjacent tiles for every layer automatically, \
store undo in optimized tile sizes and so on. But before hacking on this, I want us \
to try an store the image data on the gpu first.

Btw, blender had a very nice comparison for tilesizes, cpu and gpu for the \
opencl-based backend: http://www.blenderguru.com/4-easy-ways-to-speed-up-cycles/

--
Boudewijn Rempt