List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    R: GMIC in Krita
From:       silvio grosso <grossosilvio () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2013-04-14 7:37:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi everyone,

About the G'MIC [0] integration into Krita, I have proposed to Lukas to follow these \
rules:

1)
Code a back-end which might be "easily" extended by other Krita developers in the \
future as well (particularly regarding the *QT 5* "upcoming" port already started by \
Boud). This is the most important point for me.

2)
Try to port to Krita at least the most "important" filters for artists (even though, \
in the long run,  the best would be to have all of them available out of the box). \
The natural goal is to get these G'MIC filters implemented which their own GUI on \
Krita.

To start with, I have proposed to Lukas to take into account at least these 3 \
                filters:
- Recolorize [1]
- Poster edges[2]
- Repair [3]

Naturally, *ALL*
 suggestions by artists regarding the most G'MIC useful filters to port to Krita are \
more than welcome :-) In all truth, personally I only master some of them (actually, \
only a few of them well...)

3) At present, there is *NO* time-frame set in stone to deliver this back-end (since \
this task it not easy to accomplish). Needless to say, the sooner this happens, the \
better :-)

4) Regarding the option to update these filters through Internet (that is, the same \
feature you get with Gimp both on Linux and Windows), Lukas is going to investigate \
this option for Krita as well. Nevertheless, I have suggested to Lukas not to spend \
too much time on this option at first.

IMHO, to begin with, the most important rule is to have the most important G'MIC \
filters fully implemented, with their own *GUI*,  into Krita (in order to use them \
easily while painting on Krita).

I suppose that, in the short term, it is unlikely for
 Lukas to have the time to port all G'MIC filters to Krita (since thare are more than \
750 commands available with G'MIC....). As a consequence, for some of these filters, \
at first, the users will be forced to continue to use them on Gimp (through the G'MIC \
plugin).

A possible plan for Lukas might be to (please, bear in mind here I am *not* a \
                developer...):
- port the most "important" G'MIC filters to Krita 2.7 master with their own GUI \
                (with the current QT 4.8 toolkit);
- port the other minor remaining G'MIC filters to the QT 5 back-end when everything \
is fully working on this future version of Krita (naturally, we are aiming to the \
*long* distant future here...).

Best regards,

Silvio Grosso

[0] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR1gWQBjTyU