List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: R: Krita on Windows -- the next step
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2012-06-26 10:32:23

On Tuesday 26 June 2012 Jun, silvio grosso wrote:
> Hi Boudewijn,
>
> Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > KO GmbH (that's my company) has managed to get a contract with Intel to work on a \
> > new version of Krita for Windows.
>
> This is quite simply MAGNIFICENT! :-)
>
> > The final application will officially be made available for free through Intel's \
> > AppUP store by KO GmbH.
>
> Just out of curiosity.
> What do you mean by "free"?

The Krita Sketch binaries will cost no money (that was a requirement from Intel). We \
will only make the "official" binaries available through appup. We cannot prevent \
anyone from creating binaries and offering them for download somewhere else, but I'm \
happy with using appup since that's a one-stop place for installers that are \
guaranteed virus-free.

> More precisely, will Krita code remain open source (as it is now) or it will be \
> changed to be only "freeware" in the future?

Krita is GPL :-). Fortunately, because I'm Intel otherwise might have wanted the code \
to be kept closed. So all the code will go into the calligra repository, all the \
fixes and improvements will also be in the "regular" krita release.

--
Boudewijn Rempt