List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: Krita demo at Digital Domain London was a success.
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2012-06-06 8:01:24

On Wednesday 06 June 2012 Jun, Simon Legrand wrote:
> Pretty much every app we use has some sort of Python based scripting. So I
> would imagine that would make more sense.

Yes, we used to have a scripting module... It exposed the same scripting api in a \
number of languages, Python, Ruby, JavaScript -- but the problem was, nobody was \
using it and it was a huge task to maintain. So in 2.4 it was still compiled but not \
installed, in 2.5 it's gone.

It sort of ties in to the recording discussion that's ongoing on the list: we need to \
make it easy for ourselves to make every action in Krita recordable. Once that's \
done, making those actions scriptable should be pretty much automatic...

> However I don't think it's really the most important feature for a painting
> app. Since actions seem to work well, it would make more sense to keep
> developing those.
>
> This 'can you script in it' question is pretty typical of TDs and
> especially Riggers. In this case the question was asked by a Rigger, would
> literally never use a painting app anyway, so I think he was more pulliung
> the question out his bag of 'questions that make me look smart and
> technical'.

Ah :-).

> I'm not sure that's it really worth paying too much attention to this one.
>
> I reported it nonetheless in case something was already there like in older
> versions of Krita. But to be honest, actual artists who will be using Krita
> would probably much rather an easy action based system like what is
> available now.

Good!

--
Boudewijn Rempt