List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: ORA format: Krita support
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2012-03-26 7:10:43

On Sunday 25 March 2012 Mar, silvio grosso wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Krita 2.4 already supports the .Ora format.
>
> I would like to ask a two-parts question:
> 1. I am wondering how "good" is this support?
> More precisely, does Krita support all features of the Ora format?

Yes, even the ones that were proposed on the create mailing list last Friday.

> 2. Does it make sense to use, in the future, the ora format as the standard Krita \
> file when saving?

No -- ora only supports 8  bit rgba images, since internally it saves layers as png \
files. There's also no support for vector layers and so on.

> In other words, use the .ora format instead of the .kra one.
> The reason for this choice would be to allow the importing of Krita files easily \
> when using other applications (e.g. Gimp, MyPaint etc).
> From what I have gathered "googling", I suppose  the Ora format is not 100% \
> "reliable" (or enough powerful) yet. For instance, it looks like the Scribus \
> developers don't support yet this format for these reasons.

Well, for scribus it probably wouldn't make much sense, since you'd typically import \
your finished artwork in scribus, while ora is meant to make it possible to work on \
an image with different applications, going back and forth.

> I have been asking these questions also for another reason.
> I have noticed there is an italian developer who is trying hard to collect some \
> funds to work on the support of the ora format inside Blender: \
> http://ruesp83.wordpress.com/

That would be awesome; it's one thing that artists really often ask for, to be able \
to load ora files in blender.

--
Boudewijn Rempt