List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: Ideas and mentors
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2012-02-16 9:09:09

On Wednesday 15 February 2012 Feb, Francisco Fernandes wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I've had this idea for a sand painting brush last year but I didn't know
> how to
> develop the idea.  The brush would add "sand" in the canvas like this
> site<http://thisissand.com/> does
> but instead
> of drop in the base of the screen, it would throw it in the 2D plane of the
> canvas where the
> mouse is and then the user would spread the sand through the plane
> like this<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIOsIbqpR5s>
> sand
> painting video, but mixing the colors in the channels in a fuzzy way.
>
> I had ask some tips from one of my teachers here in my university, which
> worked in a sand
> shading using GLSL. He told me that I would work with particles in the
> canvas.
> I'm still waiting for some material of his to get more deep in the theory
> needed to do it,
> although I couldn't find any in the internet.
>
> I wanted to contribute for a long time and I really think this would
> be a nice feature to Krita, although I don't know how to do it yet. I'm
> eager to
> do the job and I'm searching some papers about this type of effect.
>
> Anyway, do you guys like the idea? It's worth a GSoC project?

Yes, it's a pretty cool idea and since we try to have at least one very experimental \
gsoc project, it could fit very well. There might be technical trouble in store, \
though, since it's not very easy to use the gpu to work with krita image data. But do \
not let that deter you!

--
Boudewijn Rempt