On Saturday 29 January 2011, Silvio Heinrich wrote: > On 01/29/2011 04:30 PM, David REVOY wrote: > > > >> @Silvio Heinrich : if gimp really uses just HSV then it is not really > >> superior. > > Oh, I really don't know nothing about how and why color modes prefer > > use HSV or HSL luma , I'm just a digital painter user. The only > > feedback I can give are with pictures like the previous mail :-) > > Btw, you are right , my use of 'superior' word needs to be explain : > > the color mode in Photoshop ( I used it for years too) don't work > > nicely with yellow/orange tones painting over gray. You obtain only a > > muddy green/yellowish tones. That's why I called the Gimp one > > 'superior' ; because if you use it as a painter to recolor a part and > > like to use yellow or orange ; the Gimp one will be more efficient for > > this case. That's why I always prefered the way Gimp handle it than > > Photoshop. > > Just to defend that the two way are usefull :) and I agree and like if > > you planed to support more then one color model. Good way ! and > > thanks for the link. > > > > > > --David > Hmm... this muddy yellowish tone is actually dark yellow i would say :D. > I don't want to annoy you but i just did a little speedpainting (just a > hour or so, nothing fancy) in value (grayscale) > and then colored it in yellow with HSL (left) and HSV (right). > I think one can see that the left side preserves the lightness of the > image much better then the right side. > This is the reason why the photoshop way is usually preferred. > I know that many of the really great artists paint in value first (to > get the contrast between light and dark right at the start) and then > they add color. Since i used gimp for years this didn't really work for > me because the HSV coloring changes the lightness too much... > It's funny that you actually were annoyed by photoshop and went to gimp. > In contrary i was so annoyed after years of using gimp that i wanted to > switch to photoshop ^__^ but then i found krita :D > Well, I'm sure we can have both types of blending -- and maybe even an option or a switch to use one when importing xcf or another one when importing psd. The only thing that has prevented me from okaying merging plassy's branch is that I want Cyrille's option on the patch. He did the blending modes, mostly, with only a little help from me, so I'm pretty clueless here. -- Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org _______________________________________________ kimageshop mailing list kimageshop@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kimageshop