List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: UI Improvement to the brush dialog
From:       Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger () cberger ! net>
Date:       2011-01-07 13:31:18

Hi,

Boudewijn indicated me on irc that the Gimp folks have an outgoing discussion
on their developers list on the subject of sliders, and Peter gave them the
same subjection as to us, see [1].

The interesting part is that he apparently made us an other suggestion, that I
personnaly was not aware, I think I was out of the discussions on the slider,
so that might explain it. But Peter's suggestion was to have a popup with
different sliders with different scale:

http://mmiworks.net/test/decadepopup.png

Which is similar to the idea I had suggested and implemented:
http://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/100217/s/23/

Both solutions have the same effect for user, but I think Peter's suggestion
is visually nicer and would solve Lukas's objection that the combobox takes
space. However, the current solution is good enough for me, meaning I am
unlikely to take the time to implement it... but we could have it as "new"
developer task (I would be willing to mentor it, but not to teach Qt widget
development ;) so for experience developer only).

Also there is an other point in Peter's email: "horizontally everything
is linear within a decade." Currently, I have left the two sliders that I
converted to be "exponential", what do you think ? Should I make them linear ?
Or keep exponential ?

On Sunday 24 October 2010, LukasT.dev@gmail.com wrote:
> Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > 1) Add a multiplier combobox to some of the KisSliderSpinBox. It would be
> > seen as a combobox (with choice like x0.1 x1 x2 x10...). The idea is that
> > sometime I work with small brush diameters, and it is difficult to select
> > with precision the diameter, so I would restrict the diameter range to
> > 0->10, and add a 1x, 10x and 100x multiplier. Similary for the scale of
> > predefined brush, for now, we have the range 0->2, David wants to
> > increase the maximum value, personnally I have the oposite problem, I
> > have big brushes (~1000x1000) and I sometime want to scale them more
> > than 0.01 (or with greater precision), so there I would change the range
> > to 0->1 and have x0.1 x1 and x10 as multiplier. We could also use the
> > multiplier idea for spacing.
>
> It seems to me from the mockup that it is element I don't like there. It
> eats  space of course. Would about hiding this into Configuration dialog?
> I'm not sure how often you need to change from x1 -> x2 -> x10, but if it
> is not very common, configuration would solve the problem with eating
> space.

[1] https://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2011-
January/026017.html
[2] http://mmiworks.net/test/decadepopup.png