List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: IRC meeting
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2010-09-27 15:00:54

On Sunday 26 September 2010, Silvio Grosso wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> > maybe more people  are interested in sponsoring the
> development of Krita.
>
> I hope they are :-)
>
> In my opinion, there are three things that might possibly attract potential
> supporters.
>
> 1. working on a Windows ".exe" self-installer.
> The best would be to have it "portable", that is, not requiring any
> privilege, as administrator, to install it on Windows.
> Probably, the best would be having only Windows 7 as target for it. This in
> order to reduce the bugs reports :-)
> As of today, there are far too many Windows systems to support.
> On top of that, Windows 7 is probably the best system ever released by
> Microsoft :-)
> All Linux open-source software for "drawing" have a Windows version:
> MyPaint, Gimp, Inkscape, Alchemy, (Blender), Pencil, OpenOffice draw.
> Most importantly, as everyone knows, most users work on Windows ;-)
> 2. working on a manual.
> Needless to say, it is useless to have a super-powerful software if your
> "average" user doesn't know how to use it.
> For instance, Krita has the text tool which is a bit difficult to find out
> because the other similar softwares have it on a different position :-)
> As everyone knows, Gimp and Inkscape, for instance, have both a magnificent
> documentation.
> This being said, generally, the documentation is not vastly produced by the
> developers themselves :-)
> This would be a waste of time and resources :-)

On the one hand, I like writing text and I know Krita fairly well... On the other \
hand, I'm already too busy as is. One thing I want to do after 2.3 is released and \
shown to be Good, is to approach the various publishers of books on free software \
applications. They might be interested in working on a paper version of the Krita \
manual.
> 3. trying to have a software which works well on pictures.
> This is by far the MOST controversial suggestion:-)
> Maybe I am totally wrong by proposing it :-)
> To make it short, in my opinion, most users work on images instead of making
> drawing.
> As a consequence, having a software which can allow them to modify a bit
> their pictures would be a plus.
> Gimp 2.8 won't allow to work on images with 16 bit color. Martin Nordholts
> has explained that it will require 2-3 years before Gegl is fully integrated
> on Gimp.
> By modifying I *only* mean applying some very simple corrections on it
> (crop, curves tool, using levels for colour correction, and so on).
> This, together, with the 16 bit color feature, might be enough.

Well -- that works already :-). But the workflow isn't ideal for people who have a \
lot of pictures to work on. But then, Digikam supports that already quite well. We do \
need better cropping, and the color adjustment filters we have can certainly be \
improved -- and should be improved, because they are used a lot in matte painting, \
which is one of our focus areas.

For 2.4, Dmitry and Cyrille already had the plan to improve our filter api. And the \
crop tool needs some ui love. Together, that should be enough for most people who \
want to do some touch-up.

> I am confident Krita must be totally focused in being a drawing software.
> Otherwise, Krita might become "bloated", with far too many bugs to fix :-(
> Nevertheless, Krita in the past had already most of these options and,
> maybe, it would be not difficult to improve them a bit.
> In the end, it is what every commercial software tries to do :-)
>
> I have even read that Microsoft PowerPoint (version 2010) allows now its
> users to modify a video :-) :-)

Oh my...

Ceterum censeo lapsum particulorum probae delendum esse