List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: whither krita -- summary
From:       Sven Langkamp <sven.langkamp () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-09-24 17:46:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud@valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 September 2009, sven.langkamp wrote:
>
> > Can be solved by experimental and stable branches. Instead of makeing
> > experiments in trunk, you would have a seperate testing ground which
> allows
> > to merge new experiments earlier. Ideally we could keep the stable branch
> >  in releaseable state most of the time.
>
> I think we can say that all of us agree on this; I'm wondering whether we
> can
> accomplish this before KDE moves to gitorious, for instance, by having our
> own
> gitorious repo and a designated- git-svn repo master who moves the finished
> stuff to the kde svn.
>
> > I think Krita is somewhere in the middle. There was an very interesting
> > video posted by the Durian project:
> >
> http://durian.blender.org/news/tutorial-painting-time-lapse-by-david-revoy/
> >
> > It's not only amazing art, but also very interesting from workflow point
> of
> > view (for me as non-artist). I especially noticed how often he switches
> > between from MyPaint to Gimp and back. Each time the image needs to be
> save
> > and opened in the other app. I think switching between different
> > workspaces/modes would be much better. For example we could have
> different
> > workspaces for painting, image manipulation and vector drawings.
>
> Wow. That man is _good_. And yes, if we manage to offer what he needs in
> one
> package where he doesn't need to switch, that's a killer feature in itself.
> And, provided we fix our performance issues, we can do that. We've got all
> the
> tools around, from alchemy's shapes to gimp's filters to the brush engines.
> With a nice slider in the top toolbar to switch between mode, we could give
> our users a really nice environment, for instance.
>
> There are other things I learned from this video: this guy doesn't use
> palettes, he just select the right color from the triangle, a lot! mypaint
> has
> some very cool color selectors, but those aren't used, as far as I can see.
> (I
> know that I don't use them either when working in mypaint myself, I just
> use
> the triangle, just like I use the small color selector in Krita).
>
> He needs high-res, and gimp paints too slow for him; he merges his layers
> often and even makes the effor to paint round things in mypaint, where he
> doesn't seem to use layers. I think that looks like a limitation judging
> from
> the way he paints, but I cannot be sure, he's so damn good. (Why are all
> the
> best artists french?)
>
> Can we support this guy's workflow in 2.5? (After Enkithan's artist in
> 2.4...)

With switching the workspaces is sounds a bit like Eclipse for images ;)

On the same page there are feature requests for mypaint
http://www.davidrevoy.com/temp/mypaint-request/
I'm not sure if the merging is due to MyPaint limitations or part of his
workflow.

The ora files on that site looks totally different in Krita btw.