List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    [Fwd: [Fwd: [RMD] 3Delight tags.]]
From:       Moritz Moeller <mnm () dneg ! com>
Date:       2007-06-12 10:20:47

Another one.

["[Fwd: [RMD] 3Delight tags.].eml" (message/rfc822)]

["[RMD] 3Delight tags..eml" (message/rfc822)]

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:08:51 -0400
From: info <info@3delight.com>
Subject: [RMD] 3Delight tags.
Sender: rman-develop-bounces@lists.sektor37.de

Hi Everyone,

> It appears that nobody else will be posting their tags.  I propose we
> begin the discussion.  Here are some topics:

Ooops :> Sorry for the late reply guys.

First of all, thanks to Moritz for this initiative and Rick LaMont for the
interresting historical notes.

Some general remarks about 3Delight's texture format:

1 - four formats are supported: plain textures, latlong, cubeface and shadow

2 - resolution can be of any size, not only powers of 2;
3 - mipmaps are diagonal;
4 - Tile Size may change in the future. 'tdlmake' uses 64x64 for textures
    and 32x32 for shadows but the renderer does accept any tile size.
    Depending on the results of some tests we are running, this may change
    32x32 all around.

Here are the tags used by 3delight:

Tags common to latlong, cubeface and plain textures :

TIFFTAG_IMAGEWIDTH      : x res of subimage (minimum = 1)
TIFFTAG_IMAGELENGTH     : y res of subimage (minimum = 1)

TIFFTAG_SAMPLESPERPIXEL : 1 to 6 channels

TIFFTAG_BITSPERSAMPLE   : 8, 16, 32 (tdlmake will also accept 1 and  4 as
INPUT
                          but output will be converted to 8)

TIFFTAG_SAMPLEFORMAT    : SAMPLEFORMAT_IEEEFP, SAMPLEFORMAT_INT,
                          SAMPLEFORMAT_UINT

TIFFTAG_COMPRESSION     : COMPRESSION_ADOBE_DEFLATE, COMPRESSION_PACKBITS
                          COMPRESSION_LZW, COMPRESSION_NONE,
                          COMPRESSION_SGILOG

TIFFTAG_PREDICTOR       : 2 (not set when no compression or
SAMPLEFORMAT_IEEEFP)

TIFFTAG_ORIENTATION     : ORIENTATION_TOPLEFT

TIFFTAG_PHOTOMETRIC     : PHOTOMETRIC_MINISBLACK, PHOTOMETRIC_RGB,
                          PHOTOMETRIC_LOGLUV (when COMPRESSION_SGILOG)

TIFFTAG_EXTRASAMPLES    : EXTRASAMPLE_ASSOCALPHA, EXTRASAMPLE_UNASSALPHA
                          (depends on source image)

TIFFTAG_PLANARCONFIG    : PLANARCONFIG_CONTIG

TIFFTAG_TILEWIDTH       : 64
TIFFTAG_TILELENGTH      : 64

TIFFTAG_SOFTWARE        : "tdlmake 3.0.0 (" __DATE__ ")" (version can vary
of
                          course)

Specific to ``plain'' textures:
-------------------------------
TIFFTAG_PIXAR_TEXTUREFORMAT   : "Plain Texture"

TIFFTAG_PIXAR_WRAPMODES       : "%s,%s" (uwrap,vwrap). Three wrap modes are
                                supported : 'periodic', 'black' and 'clamp'.

                                Specified on the command-line to 'tdlmake'.

Specific to CubeFace environment maps:
--------------------------------------

TIFFTAG_PIXAR_TEXTUREFORMAT   : "CubeFace Environment"

TIFFTAG_PIXAR_IMAGEFULLWIDTH  : 1/3 x res of subimage
TIFFTAG_PIXAR_IMAGEFULLLENGTH : 1/2 y res of subimage

TIFFTAG_PIXAR_FOVCOT          : 1.0 / tan(fov/2.0)

TIFFTAG_PIXAR_WRAPMODES       : "clamp,clamp"

At least one package (BMRT) ensures that if a cube face image is smaller
than
one tile it gets its own tile. This puts a limit on the image size (I guess
"RenderDotC" is also like this but I might be wrong). 3Delight does not
care about tile boundaries. I leave this topic to the discussion step.

Specific to LatLong environment maps:
-------------------------------------

TIFFTAG_PIXAR_TEXTUREFORMAT   : "LatLong Environment"
TIFFTAG_PIXAR_WRAPMODES       : "periodic,periodic"

Specific to Shadow maps:

TIFFTAG_PIXAR_TEXTUREFORMAT   : "Shadow"

TIFFTAG_SAMPLEFORMAT          : SAMPLEFORMAT_IEEEFP

TIFFTAG_TILEWIDTH             : 32
TIFFTAG_TILELENGTH            : 32

TIFFTAG_PIXAR_MATRIX_WORLDTOSCREEN
                              : world to NDC matrix