On Sunday 10 December 2006 15:00, you wrote: > As you might have guessed, I haven't read any documentation about krita > before starting.. ;-) Well, that _should_ work. Not that the documentation isn't quite good, especially for an open source project, with lots of informative little tutorials and tips :-) > I'm not familar with internals of krita, so I don't know how merging of > different layers is handled. My first guess from your explanations is that > upon rendering (and saving to non native formats) the pixels are converted > into the "projection color space" and the merging takes place in that > colorspace? Yes, that's right. > Another possibility would be that composition is done in a colorspace that > is a superset of all layer colorspaces, and converted down to the image > colorspace afterwards. We've thought about that, too, but there are problems with that approach, especially since a colorspace that's a superset of all colorspaces in Krita would be something like 32-bit XYZ or L*a*b -- and that would make krita eat a lot more memory than it does now. And if it's to be a superset of the colorspaces currently in the image, then we need to have a kind of sliding scale of capabilities. > Well, logically this feature belongs into the image dialog, however it > needs some more thinking since many users will probably don't know/have > forgotten that krita supports layers with different types. Exaclty. It's not a common feature :-) > > The options are: > > > > * Keep it this way, adding a little bit to the learning curve. > > Maybe with some additional description like "final colorspace" or > "projection colorspace", or something along these lines might make this a > bit more clear to users that forget about the layer issues etc. > > I was only editing a single layer, in that case the projection colorspace > could be fixed to the layer colorspace. > > > * Remove the option to set the colorspace from the image properties > > dialog and always use the colorspace of the background or bottom-most > > layer. Make the the colorspace of hte image a read-only label in the > > image properties dialog. This removes a bit of flexibility, but is easier > > to grasp. > > > > * Move the option to set the image's native colorspace to the color > > conversion dialog. Make the the colorspace of hte image a read-only label > > in the image properties dialog > > Hmm, might be a better solution, since then the user has to choose which > colorspace he wants to change. Maybe a radio button to select between > "convert all layers" and "final image colorspace" would be enough? > > Btw. which rendering intents are used for the conversion into the image > color space? Good question. I'd need to check the source. -- Boudewijn Rempt http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi _______________________________________________ kimageshop mailing list kimageshop@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kimageshop