List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Re: Layer usuability idea
From:       Mr YouP <mr.youp () free ! fr>
Date:       2005-11-08 12:45:04

Le Lundi 07 Novembre 2005 17:33, Thomas Zander, dans son immense bonté, déclamait  \
:> On Monday 07 November 2005 16:41, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:> > > Previews is fine but \
not enough because they are often too small.> > > Another idea for that is to display \
the selected layer line "bigger"> > > than other. I'm thinking about the adept (see> \
> > http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=470&slide=29> > > ) way \
> > of display more information for selected line. We should have a> > > bigger \
> > preview and some complementaries informations (such as what is> > > locked, mask, \
> > etc...) than for other layers.> >> > That's a _very_ good suggestion. We will \
> > need hierarchical information> > some time, but probably not too soon. I'll see \
> > how easy it is to> > abstract the adept fold-out widget.>> I'm not sure I \
> > understand the suggestion myself. I like the option of> having hierarchical \
> > layers, but I'm sure that is not what you two were> talking about.>> If selecting \
> > the layer (making it the active one) means all the other> layers in the listview \
> > will jump from postion because the current one got> bigger, then I'm not sure I \
> > like it very much.> Jumping GUIs makes people feel disoriented and out of \
> > control.Yes that's a problem, I agree. I also have mixed feeling about that kind \
> > of "unfolding" (although it present il many software area - treeview...)For me \
> > the point is that previews are often too small to be useful and that make it \
> > bigger burn to much place (which is always a big issue in a graphical soft). So \
> > my idea was a compromise.Another should be to make the preview of only visible \
> > pixels in the layer (ie crop the preview to "visible pixel boundaries"). The \
> > drawback of this idea is that your losing your space orientation in the \
> > picture.(layers aren't a simple subject)
> We had a suggestion to have a big tooltip for the preview.  I'm not sure> what the \
> easy solution is if you feel the different toggles take up too> much space.A \
> tooltip like ones we could have for images in konqueror ?I'm not enthousiast about \
> "furtives" apparitions. first because when I want it I must move my mouse over the \
> right place, second because it often popup when I don't want them (although, if it \
> consume no time, it isn't too much annoying) We'll see when the new layers diag is \
> going to be designed :)No problem, I stay tuned :)
> > I'm having a head cold, so I'm not feeling bright enough to tackle> > Thomas \
> > suggestion, but this something the cotton wool that passed for> > brain tissue \
> > inside my skull can grasp.>> oh :(> Get well soon!Yes, sooner, the better !
Regards.