List:       kde-kimageshop
Subject:    Krita features
From:       cesarcrusius () earthlink ! net
Date:       2004-01-15 0:31:53

Hi there,

I've read the Krita pages and couldn't find this discussion, so even risking making a \
fool of myself, here it goes:

I use Gimp for image editing, and I'm serious about it. As many people, I would like \
to have a KDE counterpart to it, but I understand that getting a new program to the \
Gimp level is not a trivial task. The only shot at becoming as good as (and better) \
than Gimp is to atract more developers and attention.

A good way to do both is to provide mission-critical functionality that is missing in \
Gimp. Two things are recurring themes for the last few years in Gimp mailing lists:

* Lack of color management support. This one is a pet peeve of people who are serious \
about image manipulation, who send their images for large format printers, etc etc.

* Lack of 16 bit mode support. This is also a bad one. Messing around with curves, \
contrast, and so on while in 8 bit mode is a tricky proposition, and is one of the \
reasons why scanners dump 16 bit info. The difference is noticeable, I have 13x19 \
prints made by applying the same curves to 16 and 8 bit black and white images and \
there is no quesion about which is better.

So here's where I'm getting at: even if you could no nothing else with Krita but (a) \
deal with color management, and (b) apply curves to 16 bit images, you would still \
get people using Krita on a regular basis as the first step in image maniulation. I \
do (b) quite often in filmgimp before getting back to Gimp for things like Unsharpen \
Mask and others. By having (a) and (b) you would attract a lot of users and generate \
much more interest than if you were just some sort of 'Gimp look-alike' by making the \
point that you're serious about image manipulation. That should also bring developers \
in.

Again, I may be just making a fool of myself, this may not be your goals at all, but \
I'd sure like them to be :)

Cheers,

- Cesar