List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror SMB support problems
From:       "Ming Poon" <mingp () corel ! com>
Date:       2000-09-11 18:34:46

Jelmer Feenstra wrote:

> > Given the current problems with the smb slave in the KDE CVS Repository
> > I think it would be very realistic to get your new smb slave into the
> > 2.0 release. I (and probably whole kfm-devel@kde.org ;-) would be
> > _VERY_ interested it testing it (and including it if it works better
> > than the current smb ) .
>
> Hmm, yeah me too ! I'm on a network with 1600 computers, a LOT of them have
> SMB shares. This also means a lot of weird systems are on this network, so
> for testing purposes it's quite ideal.
>
> One more thing, isn't this SMB implementation the one done by Corel for Corel
> Linux ?

Yes, it is based on the work we did to extend KDE 1.x. It may not be the best
implementation but at least it works quite well on our network with multiple
domains and thousands of nodes. However, I have not played with the KDE 2
kioslave version so I am not sure how reliable it is yet but that is for you
folks to find out together with Alexandr. I am sure that there will be some more
integration work that needs to be done in order to work seamlessly with KDE 2.

> If it is, is it under the GPL ? And again, if so, why hasn't it
> turned up anywhere else yet ?

It is under LGPL for any shared library code. The source code has always been on
our FTP site and our opensource.corel.com CVS tree.  I am not too worried about
licensing at this stage as I am sure we can work it out.

While we are on this topic of putting 3rd party code into KDE, we have also been
reviving the Mozilla Qt port for the last several months. We now have a Qt port
of Mozilla that is even a bit more stable than the official GTK port on Linux. Of
course, we are planning to have a kpart for Mozilla too so konqueror and others
can use it too if so desired. Again, we are just providing an alternative while
the core KDE team work out all the bugs and standards conformance features with
their khtml implementation. We are actually looking for some help in this area
now. If anyone is interested, just let me know. Thanks.

> Well, we'll see what happens ! :)
>
> Jelmer Feenstra

["mingp.vcf" (text/x-vcard)]