List:       kde-kdoc
Subject:    Re: Problem mixing h and idl files
From:       Wolfgang Bangerth <Wolfgang.Bangerth () IWR ! Uni-Heidelberg ! De>
Date:       2000-03-06 15:44:10

> > people often write something like
> >   /**
> >    * if you want this, use XYZClass<int>.
> >    */
> > In fact, our library has probably less than 5% of classes that take no
> > template arg. This is contrary to Java, which has no templates.
>
> OK, I see the point. If one uses templates frequently, writing comments would be
> a pain, unless there is some escape mechanism which allows to switch between
> two modes. For example, it would be suitable to quote the line above, e.g. using a
> <nohtml> </nohtml> tag, which basically allows any char in-between. Another solution could
> be to have special keyword which turns on html-mode, some sort of <html-code>
> you may loose transparency, e.g. what happens if there template type XYZClass<nohtml>.

Well, to be honest: that's a nuisance. One would then have to start to
invent a solution for each new problem showing up, and one would start to
write
instead of
  @em{ClassXYZ<int>}
That's not feasible, I think.

> It would be great if someone would take these thoughts further and is ready to
> provide code. I cannot do it, as my perl-knowledge is too limited.

That's Open Source: whoever wants a feature can implement it or convince
or pay someone else to do it :-)

> If 99,9% percent of the smart Java developers use kdoc 3.0 for java instead of javadoc
> that would certainly do!

You're certainly joking! Have you ever tried to get a comprehensive list
of javadoc-like tools for C++/Java/IDL/...? It would have several dozens
of entries and they all have very similar features. I doubt that any of
these tools has a market share of more than 20%. [Probably time for
consoidation and work-pooling...]

W.