List:       kde-kdoc
Subject:    Re: Documenting inherited methods ?
From:       Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk () physics ! unimelb ! edu ! au>
Date:       1999-04-15 18:45:09

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Marcin Kasperski wrote:
[snip]

> 1) as you said - it would be better to show the member documentation (to
> say the true, I'd prefer single class documentation page with separate
> chapter: inherited methods). Or maybe the "full-list" should be separate
> page but look exactly like the normal page ? What is your opinion ?

I'd like to keep duplicate documentation to a minimum. KDE docs are
already nearly 4M uncompressed. I think I will have full member list
display the full function signature along with the source(s) of the
function.

> 3) Returning to the usual method description. There is - very useful -
> information, that method overrides some other methods, but it would be
> useful (and maybe a bit harder) to distinguish two cases of overriding
> method:

One if the difficulties in implementing this is knowing if the function
signatures match even if the parameter names are left out in one of them.
If this had not been the case, matching would have been as simple as
comparing the strings ignoring unquoted whitespace. This is one of the
many tradeoffs of using a limited parser.

-Taj.

Sirtaj S. Kang       taj@kde.org         ssk@physics.unimelb.edu.au
School of Physics    Univ of Melbourne   Less hype. More code. KDE.