List:       kde-kant
Subject:    Re: [Kde-kant] Little status report ;)
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-12 20:36:59

On Monday 11 June 2001 21:51, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
|   Hi,
|   after some time of silence on this list here is a little status report ;)
|
|   About open bugs:
|    - some buffer bugs (mostly not very reproducable :(
|    - some minor bugs like search/replace errors (minor in my eyes, but
| grave for some users)
|    - no dynamic word wrap (any volunteers ?? ;)
|    - some unicode probs (or just because not used UTF8 option in settings
| ?)

Hi,
Nice to hear somebody on kde-kant list. ;-)
I was already wondering if I subscribed to a wrong list or missed something.

As original bug reporter  (Bugs #26808 # 26809, #26810), I can provide more
info about Unicode support/bugs.

If you understand under "UTF8 option in settings"
Country & Language - Charset settings in KDE Control Center - than yes,
I use either koi8-r or cp1251 as charset.
Reason is very simple - all web sites in Russia support one of these two font
encodings. And Konqueror uses (by default) encoding from Country & Language
settings.
Doesn't Kate use Unicode internally?  As far as I remember, KWrite from KDE
2.1 was able to display Unicode text files, and I didn't have to switch any
settings i Control Center for this.

Here is one more *wishlist* for KWrite/Kate.
I think it's related to problem above.
If you use Unicode internally, it would be logical to add Export/Import
filters into different encoding.
Like:
koi8-r (Cyrillic) text imported into Kate, and than exported as cp1251 (also
Cyrillic, known as Windows-Cyrillic)
Actually, I was planning to use KWrite for HTML editing already for some time
(since KDE 2.0 release...), but missing cp1251 support was not allowing me to
do it. I have nothing against to prepare prototype in UTF8, but need to
upload files to server in cp1251 (so, they are accessible by Windows users)
Pls let me know if I can expect it from KWrite/Kate in upcoming releases.

[...]
|   cu
|   Christoph

Best regards,