List:       kde-kant
Subject:    ARGH!!!! Kate is trashy atm:-(((
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2002-05-30 15:40:05

Hi, after updating kdelibs/kdebase after a week or so, I find that kate has
been badly trashed!!

Sorry, I can see improvements going on too, but I like to use kate as my main
working tool for programming, and some things seems to go in the wrong
direction:

1) Session management has been broken, now restoring the view configuration
does not work anymore. I'll try to get that fxed.

2) The menu structure looks TERRIBLE!!! Menus should go in the normal order,
and some things seems to be misplaced (again, sigh.) Find in files belongs in
tools, and syntax as well as end of line mode belongs in document. There is
probably more, but i'm simply too pissed to analyze it all right now! We did
have a discussion about that a while ago at the list, now we just forget and
place everything randomly??? And btw, there is supposed to be separators in
the file menu. I hope we can get back to agreeing on a sane structure, and
that who ever made this mess will clean it up again... And excuse me if any
of this is caused by changes in the xml framework core.

3) Each frame should have it's own statusbar imo, it is there to display the
status of settings/position etc in the document in that frame. And the new
qstatusbar is badly misdesigned. BADLY.

Now, if I have only one frame, I have no statusbar at all, If I split I get
one at the bottom, but nothing indicates the active frame/document. Bad bad
bad. BAD, ARGH.

There is good things about using
qstatusbar, or at least a statusbar with sections, but frankly not if it
looks this stupid. What is the idear of that anyway??????????????????????

Hmm, a replacement for qstatusbar is still needed, since the qt folks still
fails to make it usefull for anything but the simplest windoze clooning:-[

Ok, I do see some nice things, even they need fixing, and I am sorry I have
had so little time for Kate lately. The settings for the borders needs a
fixup, I'll take a look. (there should be settings for what to do when adding
a view, and the bookmarks border should have some smart settings)

Unfortunately, i have problems getting all of kdebase to build today, kicker
build seems badly broken here, I hope I can get my kde cvs desktop running
again, but it may slow me down:(

-anders