List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Re: Another idea..
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-12-28 11:18:30

A good solve is a bit more complex.

The detect event is not your problem, if it has performance problems you better ask
the khtml people.  (do profiling if you want to know where the problem lies)

The update dom is a minumum of calls, I dont suspect any problems there.

Then the redrawing. I don't believe the kthml has been fully optimized for redrawing
speed of a small area.

What happens in the QT classes that make up the QRichText is the following;
A paragraph is rendered to screen, this also remembers things like where the line-breaks are
and the coordinate of the start of the paragraph.
The rendering has a complex structure that makes sure not to much is drawn/calculated when
the area is given to the renderer. (you can limit the redrawing to a certain area)
If a paragraph is redrawn the rest of the paragraphs are recalculated in a low-priority
thread so all paragraphs know where they are to be rendered, which means that when you scroll
you don't have to render all the paragraphs prior to the current before you start
seeying something.

Basically, I would advice that this is a low priority job, optimizing can easily be done
later.

Just my 0.02

Cheers!