List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Re: General Design Decisions
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-12-05 18:37:20

> Tonight I was having a chat with Stephen Heigl and Wildfox about some design
> decisions regarding the next stages of implementation.

I have not paid enough attention to kafka for some time. So I'm plesently surprised
to see you got this far in so little time ;)

What confuses me is that I can not load/display a html file in the CVS version. I
am sure this has been done allready since you are thinking about ways to edit it.

Confused...

> The main things we discussed were:
>
>  - Ways to handle controlling visual objects in WYSIWYG mode(eg - images)
>  - Hooking the processing to GUI controls
>
> The general idea is that we should have two services within Kafka:

This is an implementation thing. I can not comment on this without knowing the code ;)

I was personally thinking a bit more pluggable.
In the view you catch the mouseclick like this:

KafkaView::contentsMousePressEvent(MousePressEvent *e ) {
    // We get called by QT when something is clicked.

    // pluginType1 is a QList of plugins that want to get notified
    // when another node has been selected.
    // for instance QList<PluginBase> pluginType;
    for (unsigned int i=0; i < pluginType1->count(); i++) {
        pluginType1->at(i)->setCurrentSelectedObject(node);
    }
}

The objectEditor is a plugin and thus inharits from the pluginbase. Therefor
it must implement the setCurrentSelectedObject method. This can be done as follows.

KafkaObjectEditor::setCurrentSelectedObject(BaseDomObject *object) {
    case object->type(); {
        "P":   // set up text editing gui
          break;
        "TABLE": // set up table editing gui