List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Re: Writing the selection code
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-11-24 16:07:30

> OK...so to get a cursor in the HTML widget and add a letter to the DOM, the
> processing would go like this:
>
>  - detect a QMouseEvent on the widget and connect it to a slot

Does the DOM stuff not also supply a widget? It this widget is a QScrollView
you can use that, otherwise you have to create a new QScrollView.
In the QScrollView there are a host of predefined methods which you can use,
look under the Protected methods list in the docs.

>  - in the slot, position the cursor where the click took place
Yes.
>  - also in the slot detect which object if any the mouse was over when the
> click occured
Yes
>  - if there was an object go to that node in the dom tree, if not ?
The object == node-in-dom-tree, right?

>  - wait for keyboard input and if it occurs add it tot he DOM tree
Inside a new slot.

> Is that right? The questions I have are:
>
>  - how can a cursor object point to a DOM object? I assume you mean once the
> cursor has been set and the position in the DOM is set, update the posiition
> in the DOM tree each time the cursor moves.

You only store the position in the cursor, never in the DOM, so that
won't work.
But as I said I don't know what a QCursor can do for you. You might just want
to create a new cursor object. The cursor object would contain things like:
current paragraph, current node, methods to move the cursor etc.

>  - if the position in the HTML widget is going to be set with setPos and
> using a QPoint, how can be line up the text with the cursor?

I don't understand.

> I am having a little trouble visualising your idea...although I am sure it
> will work well. It might be a good idea to write some code for the this to
> get it implemented if you have time.

Alas...