List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Development Roadmap
From:       Jono Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-11-23 3:52:06

Hello all,

I have been asked by a few of the Kafka developers to make a clear roadmap of
development so we can all be clear on how we are intending to develop Kafka.
The idea behind this roadmap is to have a unified plan of what to do.

If anyone has any changes for this plan, please feel free to send comments
and flames to the list, and I will include them.

The aim of this roadmap is that the top of it represents what we need to
first and the bottom represents what we need to do last. *Every* developer is
now free to commit code to Kafka and begin implementing this roadmap. Please
send any queries to the list or to myself.

-------------------------
Kafka Development Roadmap
-------------------------

START

- Implement selection methods.
	Methods that select an object in the view.
	Methods that select a DOM object.
	Methods that set the cursor in the document which also sets the current
               position in the DOM tree

- Implement document formatting controls
	Floating window with controls on it
	Menu's
	Toolbar buttons

- Implement processing functionality
	Methods that will take the selection and format it based on what the user
               has selected and the formatting type used
	Methods that update the view and provide visual controls

FINISH

That is the roadmap on how to get the core functionality working. I highly
encourage that coders start work ASAP. Please feel free to commit source.

The source at the moment comprises of the following classes:

	KafkaApp - Main application functionality
	KafkaView - Deals with the view of the document
	KafkaEdit - The main class where the processing is done on the DOM tree and
                               selection methods

There is no KafkaDoc at the moment, but needs to be implemented. The KafkaDoc
class will look after the document (opening, saving etc).

Please send any queries to the list, and I would encourage as many developers
as possible to hang out in #kafka on irc.openprojects.net as well. Sometimes
queries and work can be done better using a realtime conferencing system.

I hope to see some commits soon. :-)

	Jono

--
Jono Bacon - [vmlinuz] - jono@kde.org