List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Re: libKafka?
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-11-18 8:45:18

> > So what you want is this:
> >   A shared library which contains a KPart that anyone can use. For
> > example
> >   I could do a 'open with' in konqueror and open it with the Kafka part.
> >
> >   A seperate application that is kafka.
> >
> > Read that tutorial please ;)
>
> If you read my email again you would realise I am asking something
> different. I *have* read the tutorial (I read it a while back), and in
> terms of KParts, I think we are all pretty much agreed on it - Kafka should
> come as a part which can be used by any app.
>
> If you read the email...my query is regarding whether we should put the
> Part functionality of Kafka in libkafka or Kafka. I am making the
> assumption that if we put it in Kafka the developer would need to have the
> complete Kafka distribution installed to use the part (as the part source
> is in the Kafka dir). I was querying in my email as to whether we keep the
> Part functionality in a seperate libkafka so developers can use it without
> having to get the entire Kafka source.

Lets view this from another perspective; distributing the lib seperately is
the only way you are going to do this (I am not thinking twice about an
application like quanta making a parly distro of kafka)

So kafka would need:
 - kafka gui
 - kafka plugins
 - kafkalib

I really dont think this should be 3 seperate RPM's (or 2 for that matter)