List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Re: Open Issues
From:       Jono Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-10-27 15:20:17

On Thursday 26 October 2000 21:54, you wrote:

> > > Implementation specific, all kafka objects would have to subclass a
> > > "unknown-token" in the khtml lib, some smart code would have to sneak
> > > into the tokenizer to parse the "plugin" tokens.
> >
> > I see what you mean, but how would you know what is a PHP, JavaScript,
> > ASP tag etc. Also, what happens if another program wishes to manipulate
> > tags at the tokenizer leve. we could say that if the tokenizer sees a
> > PHP tag it is represented as a Kafka tag, but what happens if say
> > Quanta would like to use it?
>
> The point is that we are going to create tokens ourselves. So the DOM
> contains tokens like <HTML> etc, now it will also contain tokens we will
> write.
>
> That is the only change, so your question to find out what code something
> is: we simply use what is allready there, a tokenizer!
>
> If quanta would like to use it, I guess it could include the kafka-shared
> library..

I understand it is code *we* will write, but what I am interested in knowing
is how we will write it. ;-)

> > Also, how can these tokenized tags update the DOM tree so we can
> > represent them usefully?
>
> Again, this is code we create. So that is not really relevant. We will find
> a way. (I thing a hook or a signal would do the trick, use what is faster)
>
> > > Certainly, but is this not really easy if you have a DOM? You can ask
> > > khtml where stuff is, so finding out which token has been clicked is
> > > really easy. All we have to do is write logic that wil do the drawing.
> >
> > Would this mean updating the rendering of the KHTML widget? Also, do
> > you think it would be a good idea that all elements rendered in the
> > Kafka KHTML widget have coordinates associated with them in the DOM so
> > when a user clicks on the page, the coordinate is logged and checked in
> > the DOM so we know which element to edit?
>
> Khtml will provide hooks, so kafka gets a signal to draw something, after
> which khtml will get control back to draw some stuff. Its all really basic
> stuff..
>
> If you have no idea what I am talking about, turn to the QT documentation
> (in qt-copy) and read among others the signalsandslots.html

I am already pretty well versed in the Signals/Slots mechanism in Qt, but
again I am curious as to what logic we will employ to generate these signals.

	Jono

--
Jono Bacon - jono@kde.org
KDE/Qt Developer - Founder of Linux UK