List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Re: Open Issues
From:       Stefan Schimanski <1Stein () gmx ! de>
Date:       2000-10-26 20:47:25

> Hi! I intent to contribute to this project; I asked to do this as a
> project for my master, and if this is accepted, expect to see me there
> quite oftenly!

Great!!! :)

> Hmm.. doesn't the DOM handle this (at least for carriage returns?). This
> summer i did some DOM code (over XML, not HTML) and I had to check every
> time if the node was an ELEMENT_NODE because the parser was creating
> nodes for carriage returns.

The problem at the moment is that the tokenizer of khtml ignores those
"whitespace" linefeeds because they has no effect on the html rendering.

> Plus, if we have support for TEXT_NODE, we can store whatever we want
> (scripts, carriage returns, unknown tags, ...), no?

Adding appropiate DOM classes is no problem as long as we incorporate them
into the khtml parser. The main problem at the moment is to reuse the khtml
parser and tokenizer to handle the information _we_ need compared to khtml.

> Or are we using QDom? BTW, I understand that we cannot use QDom for
> correct and it would only work with XHTML

Currently the QDom isn't used AFAIK. But Lars is on the way of integrating
XML support into khtml. I will ask him about his design to prepare kafka for
xhtml.

> 1/ if khtml/DOM is DOM-compliant [and to my understanding supports text as
> a node, and will work properly with unknown tags], why would we need to
> create another implementation??

The simple answer is that the current implementation of the DOM in khtml
doesn't support the storage of all information we need. We would have to
enhance it. This needs changes in the khtml source code. But that shouldn't
be a bug problem. Lars is very open for those changes.

> 2/ Where can I find a khtml/DOM doc (or how can I use properly the one I
> found)

I suspect that the only good information source is the khtml source code.

Schimmi

--
#! /bin/sh
for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and ; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org ; done | \