List:       kde-kafka
Subject:    Re: Welcome and such.
From:       Jono Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-10-20 2:20:50

On Thursday 19 October 2000 21:53, Thomas wrote:
> Kafka is a initiavite to create a wysiwyg html editor. We have been
> discussing internals some time ago, but the consences was (is!) that khtml
> can be used for both the rendering and as a basis for the editing of html.
> This requires a stable khtml which was not available at that time.
>
> KDE2 is released (some hours ago) and it includes a _very_ stable khtml.
> I understand that the API of khtml to the outside world is not going to
> change any time soon, so I think we are "allowed" to continue to hack some
> stuff.

Woohoo! :-)

> Some old stuff that I remember from a couple of months ago.
>
> - We want to start building the internal data structure. This is largely
> done because we use khtml. But there remains the question of "source
> preservation" where the source code origionally read into kafka would
> ideally be used to create the final page again. Preserving things like
> unknown tags, indentation etc.

Agreed. We need to keep source compatability throughout *all* processing.

> - The GUI can be done in a modular way, there for we first need to create
> a; - plugin structure. Some very powerful method for us and any
> thirth-party developers to create extra features in an OO manner.

I am just looking into some plugin systems.

> we also created a time-line. To state what would be done first.

This needs updating. We can discuss this when we have most developers on the
list.

> I want to know if people want to comment on the above.
> But mostly I want to know from someone who has been coding lately what the
> current state of affairs is.

AFAIK (and I havent coded on Kafka much), the source hasn't changed for a few
months.

	Jono

--
Jono Bacon - jono@kde.org