List:       kde-java
Subject:    Re: [Kde-java] ANN: kalyptus bindings generator for C/Objective-C/Java
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-18 13:49:45

On Saturday 17 November 2001 9:10 pm, Richard Dale wrote:
> On Saturday 17 November 2001 6:57 pm, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> >
> > Actually I have been looking at using this to generate the needed SIP
> > files for building Python bindings.  90% of SIP files are just brute
> > force editing, and this application may help speed this up.
Could the bindings be generated directly - what advantage is there in going
via SIP? I think the Kompany have Python pretty up to date, but I'm not sure
about the Ruby bindings.

> > It would be interesting to see languages like Ruby and Python in more use
> > in KDE.  They are very light languages and have fast development times.
> > In my opinion I think thinks like Konqi plugins and KOffice extensions
> > would do very well if they had the ability to be developed in many
> > different languages.

> I'm all for Ruby support, but once we have one dynamic language as a KDE
> Java api we can implement a dynamic bridge like RIGS to either Java or
> Objective-C. But even for a static Ruby bindings implementation:
>
> tipitina duke 579% wc -l *.pm
>      91 Ast.pm
>     508 Iter.pm
>     722 kalyptusCxxToC.pm
>    1629 kalyptusCxxToJava.pm
>     926 kalyptusCxxToObjc.pm
>    2748 kalyptusDataDict.pm
>     757 kdocAstUtil.pm
>     301 kdocLib.pm
>     417 kdocParseDoc.pm
>     140 kdocUtil.pm
>    8239 total

So probably about 1500 lines of perl needed to do Python and Ruby SIP or
direct bindings generation.

On Saturday 17 November 2001 9:10 pm, Richard Dale wrote:
> Just 24 hours from Tulsa... :)
What am I talking about ? Sorry about that - seem to have accidentally
entered sozzled Saturday evening 'stream of conciousness' mode.

-- Richard