List:       kde-imaging
Subject:    Re: [Gwenview-general] Re: [Kde-imaging] KIPI initialization
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2005-06-14 16:18:06

On Tuesday 14 of June 2005 17:46, Renchi Raju wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >
> > That however disables the plugins completely. In Gwenview it's possible
> > to assign keyboard shortcuts to KIPI plugins, and theoretically it should
> > be also possible to have toolbar icons for them. That wouldn't work with
> > delayed initialization of the pluginloader itself.
>
> i fail to understand why not. do a delayed initialization of the
> pluginloader and when the plugins are loaded, assign them keyboard
> shortcuts and/or toolbar icons. in any case the actions for the plugin
> actions are not instantiated unless you load the plugin, so i don't see
> how you can assign keyboard shortcuts/icons to them before that.

 Ah, this kind of delayed initialization. But there would be the problem of
when to do the real initialization. Currently there's no delaying at all,
which means even showing of the window gets slowed. If I do the
initialization after the window is shown and before the image is drawn, it
will slow down drawing of the image. If I move it even further to when the
app is completely idle, the user can already try to use a plugin by that time
(Gwenview loads and shows images incrementally). This would of course be no
problem when the plugin is activated using the popup menu, it loads the
plugins in the popup's aboutToShow(), but for the shortcuts I need to know
the list of possible actions and their shortcuts at the time the app is still
busy.

 Of course the chance that the user would try to use a KIPI plugin while
Gwenview is still busy loading the image or doing something else is rather
small, but still, unless I find some serious problem I find delayed
initialization of only the plugins themselves a better solution.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer