List:       kde-i18n-it
Subject:    Re: Linux and IT-related Italian translations
From:       Federico Cozzi <federico.cozzi () sns ! it>
Date:       2005-01-18 17:47:28

On 18/01/05 16:52, Andrés Palomares, e-lexica wrote:
> My name is Andrés Palomares and I work as a project manager for a
> Spanish localization company called e-lexica. We've found your contact
> details at the KDE-i18n-it website.
>
> We're looking for Italian freelance translators (English>Italian and/or
> German>Italian) and translation revisors for working on Linux and
> IT-related localization projects for our current and future customers
> (SUSE Linux, ViewSonic, Pointsoft, etc.).
>
> We would like to know if you could be interested in working with us on
> upcoming Italian projects (or if you may know any IT-savvy colleague
> that could be interested). If so, we would be very grateful if you can
> contact us by e-mail or MSN as soon as you can so we can further discuss
> the details, such as prices, availability, etc. Right now, we're going
> to start a translation & revision Linux project for which we'll need
> several Italian translators.

Dear Andres, cari traduttori,
I've known both Andres and the Italian translators for a long time, so
let me introduce each other.

I've already completed several works with Andres; they consisted in the
translation of technical documentation, websites and software manuals.
Very few of them were in the PO format; most of them were in other
formats (plain text, HTML, Microsoft Word, Adobe Illustrator etc.)
Not all translations needed a "Linux expertise", however being
Linux-savvy definitely helps, and being IT-savvy is required.
I can testify to Andres that all translators in this mailing list are both.

If Andres is proposing you the work he has already proposed me, it
consists in the update of the Italian translation of a SuSE manual. The
manual consists in a bunch of XML files; each of them comes in three
versions: the old and new English ones, and the old Italian translation.
The translator needs to update the Italian translation to the new
English version.

I think that this work can be enjoyable, but I declined his offer
because I judged that it is too long for my little spare time. A very
rough estimate is that it requires 10 hours or more of work, and the
timeframe is quite limited (two weeks at most, IIRC).

If you have got time, please go ahead and take this work. I regret I
have not been able to. However, I strongly suggests you NOT to work "as
a loose team". Those who take the work should have a personal
responsibility of their share of work, a schedule, and good team
communication. Therefore, I suggest you to answer privately to Andres
and set up a discussion medium different from this mailing list.

Bye