List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    KDE 2.2.2 ? (Was:Re: branches again -> doc branch)
From:       Andrea Rizzi <rizzi () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-27 10:48:01

Alle 12:11, luned́ 27 agosto 2001, hai scritto:

> A 2.2.2 is not being planned yet (says Dirk Mueller). So far 3.0 is vaguely
> scheduled for January (there are even considerations about getting it out
> in December). The work for translators will largely depend on what the
> proof-reading team is doing. _If_ they are doing all that correction and
> unification stuff they were planning  (including renaming most "directory"
> to "folder") there could still be some work for translators.

I hope this will be easy for transltor thx to diff-feature of kbabel, many
times the fix is not relevant in the translation.

> Also there are new features of course (the new font module alone will
> introduce 300 new strings).
300 strings do not need 5 months of 10 guys ;-)

> Most translations are far from being complete
> or polished (have _you_ removed all shortcut clashes from your
> translations? the German team will need a long time for this).
This is another good point for a 2.2.2 release. Once we fixed those problems
(in the next 2-3 months) we can release the fixed version (with no clashes).

> And even if 3.0 would be delayed until February I don't see a 2.2.2 be
> happening. Just think of all the possible confusion between 3-letter codes
> and 2-letter codes for languages.
I do not understand here... when we plan to switch to 3 letter? Not in KDE
2.2.1, so we can keep 2 letters for 2.2.2 too.

> release schedule for 3.0 to appear. But if you are still unsure about a
> possible 2.2.2 you could eg post something to kde-core-devel on this
> subject.
I think 2.2.2 is more about kde-i18n-doc than kde-core-devel, if we, the
translators, decide we need a 2.2.2 release because we have many work done
(docs, accelerator clash solved, typos fixed, etc) we must release this.

Also consider that our team usually do quite nothing on the interface
translation before the message freeze because we saw many times our work
wasted so, say the message freeze for KDE3 will be on december, there is a
lot to do (and a lot of time) for KDE 2.x series before we can really work on
KDE 3.

My proposal is a KDE 2.2.2 release with:
1-More documentation translated
2-Accelerator fixed
3-Typos in TRANSLATED text fixed
4-as usual bugfix for critical bug in the code (if developer need it)

This work will not be wasted (except point 4) with KDE 3.
If a team decide to work on KDE_2_2_BRANCH it will clean up the translation
and then, before starting to work on KDE3, copy all the stuff to HEAD.
Same thing for documentation.

Bye
Andrea

--
Registered Linux User No.71426  |     ***  KDE Project  ***
        Andrea Rizzi            |  http://www.kde.org/