List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Language selection dialog again
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2001-08-16 11:33:58

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Dwayne Bailey wrote:

> Those that are installed are shown full colour
> While those that are not installed but available are shaded
> Root could even be allowed to download and install (maybe?)

You don't have to be root to install languages in KDE. You can just
install them under $HOME/.kde/share/locale/LC_MESSAGES/

> I think this would encourage people to play with a translation in their
> language - but also help them to see if their language is supported
> without having to search the web or check for .rpm files.  Perhaps we

I have been thinking about that too. It sounds nice, but I guess that
require us to ship kinstaller or something like that with kdebase.

Or maybe we should ask the user the first time he starts the program, if
he wants to download the translated version. If he says yes, we do, if
not we don't.

The current system is a bit strange, because you install kde-i18n-no, and
then you get translations for programs you don't even have installed. hm.

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
          bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org / +47 97651633
                Dagaliveien 25 A  |  Elgesetergate 23 B
                N-0776 Oslo       |  N-7030 Trondheim
  Siste nytt fra industrien finner du p=E5: WWW.Industri-Informasjon.NO