List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Flags (was Re: Tajik KDE Translations)
From:       John Knight <anarchist_tomato () herzeleid ! net>
Date:       2001-08-10 4:41:54

One thing I was worried about was the font used in writing the name of the language \
(ie. Japanese or Mandarin etc.), we'd need the fonts installed. Then I realised that \
you could just use a picture with the name written on it (stupid of me, I know).

I certainly don't think that we'll have any better idea than this and it's already \
proven to work with sites like hotmail. Good going lads. :)

John Knight
KDE GB English Translation Co-ordinator (I'm still undecided of what title I want to \
use here!)

--- Malcolm Hunter <malcolm.hunter@gmx.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > Languages per se are not country specific in a sense of "being the
> > property of a country". Do you really want to have flag-languages and
> > non-flag-languages? And who gets his flag on en_GB -- England (English
> > flag)? or the UK (Union Jack)? one of the colonies? or the Commonwealth
> > (if they don't have a flag we could create it)? Who gets his flag on
> > German -- Germany? Austria? Switzerland? It just doesn't make sense.
>
> Agreed. I notice Microsoft don't use flags, and we can go one better than
> them and use the native translation of the chosen language rather than the
> english translation (eg. Deutsche).
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm
>

> --