List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: trashcan etc. names
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-27 18:33:03

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 07:00:43 +0200, Thomas Diehl wrote:

>> Apparently until now in every KDE 2.x release the contents of the
>>directory.trash file was completely ignored and the translated strings
>>these files, so from now on the strings from directory.trash will be used
>>for the Trash label.
>>
>>The best solution would be regenerating directory.* from
>>the kdelibs.po files - maybe Stephan is kind enough to do this. If not,
>>then every team should check these files to avoid unpleasant surprises
>>on the desktop.
>
>FWIW, in the German version we now also have a translation for "trash"
>which was deprecated long ago. It would be great if we could get a
>general solution.

I just recompiled, deleted the KDesktop directory and noticed that the
deprecated translation went away -- but now "Trash" does not appear
translated at all. Is anybody looking into this?

While I'm at it there are still a few i18n related issues:

* The list of window sitters in AMOR is apparently untranslatable
(stuff like "Unanimated Tux" in Options), same goes for the
descriptions below the list ("Static window sitter" and so on)

* Similar case with the new "locolor theme" in kcontrol -> appearance
-> design: neither the theme name nor the description below seems to be
translatable

* Serious problems with Sports Ticker applet: It always crashes on me
except I remove the .kde directory before starting KDE. Then it shows
an American date / time format and does not honor the settings in
kcontrol. Finally there are geometry problems in the settings dialog
(several strings of the German translations are cut off). Wrote to
Jonathan Singer already but got no answer yet except that he apparently
can't duplicate the crashes. -- If this can't be fixed in time I'm
sorry to suggest that the applet should be removed from the release.

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/