List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Re: documentation size
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-30 13:46:28

On Tue, 29 May 2001 20:57:25 +0200, Lauri Watts wrote:

>So, who decides which apps are "important"?  If you never use usenet, then
>Knode isn't very important is it, when to many people it's a flagship app,
>and one of KDE's best and most important features.

I also think KNode is an important app. My point was that documentation
should stick to KDE specific descriptions as much as possible and not
explain basic Usenet stuff in detail. This would also make it easier to
maintain for the author I guess.

>In the meantime, I think you can take it
>as understood that things in an appendix (other than the installation
>chapter, which is substantially the same from doc to doc anyway), and any
>documentation pitched at developer level, can be considered low priority for
>translation at this stage.

Translations would surely look better, too, if we could have the not so
important (and therefore possibly untranslated) stuff in an appendix
than having lots of untranslated parts in the middle of the text.

Some of the more basic facts maybe could also go to the glossary or
more general intros instead of being explained over and over again.
I don't know artsbuilder nor its documentation and cannot judge,
therefore, whether it is a "toy" or not. But I would presume that the
doc size may go down considerably if there was some general
introduction to KDE multimedia and its basic terms and tools.

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/