List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Re: documentation size
From:       "Tamas Szanto" <tszanto () mol ! hu>
Date:       2001-05-29 14:52:14

> So here it is: I refuse point blank to limit documentation based
> on file size.
Please relax, no one tried to suggest that. I didn't want to ask you
to strictly limit the size of the documents.
But I maintain that:

1) The size of a document should reflect the importance
of the app it describes (*to some degree*)

> konqueror - 130 KB
> artsbuilder - 256 KB

Do you think that this size ratio is reasonable?
Konqueror is the most important app in KDE, artsbuilder is
basically a "toy".

2) Size does matter (*to some degree*)

For translators, twice as much documentation means
twice as much work. Even if there are some tools available
to ease the process.

Apart from the translations, do you really want to convince
me that if ktetris1 and ktetris2 are similar applications,
it's perfectly acceptable if one of the docs is 25 KB and the
other is 150 KB? It's hard to believe that both of them would contain
only essential information.

3) The primary target audience should be the average desktop user

I have a feeling that there's some confusion here. Some people
provide a detailed reference manual, the others only try to
cover the basics. It's obviously not clear for the authors what kind
of documentation they are expected to make.
----

> because it was known or guessed what my reaction would be

Yeah, I expected something like this. Please, I just tried to summarize
my opinion, nothing serious :-)

Tamas Szanto
tszanto@mol.hu
the Hungarian i18n team