List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [core-devel] OT: Re: i18n of icons
From:       "Erik K. Pedersen" <epedersen () stny ! rr ! com>
Date:       2001-05-09 0:51:49

> Maybe I'd have better directed the mail with a very different wording to
> kde-i18n-doc directly. Maybe it's really only the German translation that's
> affected, but I don't think so, when looking over .desktop files.
> The example above was meant as nothing but an example.
>
> I repeat: you do your job very well, I didn't mean to insult or piss off
> anyone; it was just the translation of some names that don't even "make
> sense" untranslated.
> I can't speak of any other programmer, but if you encounter any string that
> makes no sense in my code, feel free to mail me, tell me "do your job
> better" or whatever.
> -Malte

But the desktop.pot file is really difficult to translate because say, I
don't have a clue why there is a string Young Hickory in there, so in such
cases I do translate by equality.

When I just started translating I looked at the Norwegian translations, and I
noticed that Mandelbrot was translated to something like Mandelbrøt. Being a
mathematician I do of course know that Mandelbrot is a person, I have even
been to one of his lectures, but it is not easy for every translator to know
that.

The best solution is a bugreport. I wonder whether i am the only one who gets
very few of those. If bugreports occasionally came to this list from
developers, we might learn something about the context that can be used in
other languages too.

Erik